Monday, August 18, 2008

Olympic Obsessed

I am not a sports junkie. I watch UGA football in the fall, that is by far my favorite sporting event. Sometimes I'm known to watch a few other SEC games here and there. I've always been into certain parts of the Olympics, though only a few. I've enjoyed the opening ceremony, I've always liked gymnastics and was a huge Mary Lou fan. That's about the highlight of my summer game watching. I enjoy a few favorite sports from the winter Olympics as well and then I'm done. Sadly, I didn't see a single event when it was here in 1996. I visited the Olympic Village Guest area downtown a few times, but that was the extent of it. I'll always regret not seeing a sport.

Anyway.... this
year I decided I had to watch the Opening Ceremony because I was sure that China was going to put on a beautiful production. I was right. We both sat glued to the TV that night. I cried, seriously, kind of sad. The moving cubes, how'd they do that? Was it computer controlled? NO, it was PEOPLE! The drummers, the world with it's runners, the people who were "lit up" and the dove they formed. All of it was breath taking!!

Then, I watch the athletes parade in. I watch every single bit, every single country. I read every single thing about the flag carrier, the number of people that live in that country and how many athletes they have in the games. History was my least favorite subject in school, still is. For some reason, I'm totally intrigued by the little "tid
bits" of trivia and facts that they tell about each country. I love the smiles on the faces!!! I love how the tiny country, population 1,000 is just as proud of their 1 athelete as we Amercians are of our nearly 600. Again, the whole thing makes me cry. (See a pattern here?)

I thought I'd start watching the events the first day. I thought I'd catch a few here and there. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about this Michael Phelps kid, see if Shaun Johnson was as great as they say she is.

The next t
hing I know, I'm 100% obsessed. It's all I watch, day and night. I watch the Today show every morning and see the stories around the country. I watch each sport, when I'm not here I set the DVR. If it's not on NBC, I turn to Oxygen or MSNBC. In between what's on TV, I watch what I've saved on DVR. I've learned tons about water polo, I've cheered and screamed for Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh. I celebrated with them as the President visited to see a beach volleyball match and visit with the gals. I've watched, holding my breath, as the syncronized divers are in perfect harmony. I've said prayers for the gymnst as they walked out to compete in front of those crowds. I've tried to figure out just how they judge dressage equestrian events and watched boxers go at it. I've watched it all!! I find myself discussing it everywhere I go; friends, family, coworkers. Did you SEE that??

Then there's th
e matter that I have a teeny obsession with Michael Phelps. Did you see that guy swim? 8 out of 8 events, gold medals all the way around! He's good looking, an amazing athelete, a good sportsman, a great son to his Mom and just appears to be an all around good guy. The close calls that he's had have been unreal. He's amazed himself. They don't think there will be another athelete ever to dominate a field like he has in swimming. He says he's coming back in 2012, I can't wait.

I'm inspired by Dara Torres, 42, swimmer. She's won medals in 5 separate Olympics! Her first games were TWENTY FOUR years ago, come on now?! That's serious stuff. She has a two year old and wants her to know that age should never keep you from doing anything you want to do, go for it. How inspiring is that?!

Eric Shanteau, 25 years old, swimmer. He finds out just months before the Olympics that he has cancer. He asks them to hold off surgery until he's gotten to swim his events at the games and they clear him. Sadly he didn't win a medal and is headed back to the US for surgery and our prayers go with him for a fantastic recovery. He's originally from Lilburn, Georgia. Way to be there and say "I'm going to finish this job, reach for the stars and then deal with the crap". Ya know?! My quote, not his.

Keeth Smart, fencing, has a rare blood disease and four months ago they thought he was days from dying. He spends 2 weeks in ICU and just days later his Mother dies of cancer. Here he is, 4 months later, leading the mens fencing team to win a silver medal. How inspiring is that? And you thought you'd had a few bad days, ya know? Puts things in perspective.

There are more, but I'll stop there. It's amazing to me. In watching the "Today" show stories each morning about how far the country of China has come. How much they've gone through, there is such history there. Our nation is still so young and China has such age to it. To know how they guarded themselves behind a wall, the great wall if you will. Now to know they have finally opened their country and invited the world to come be a part. A friend of mine said her son was watching the opening ceremony and said "The Olympics are all about peace, huh Mom?" He gets it. The Olympics are all about peace. They're about how our countries can come together to celebrate something amazing. To celebrate sports, but even more so sportsmanship. To celebrate the great athletic skills, but even more the athletes.

Truly inspiring!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta Say - I'm impressed with that Kerri W!

The olympics were fun this year, but I felt the gymnastics was skewed to the Chinese, I'm hoping they uncover the truth on that young girl

I love your picture on the header of the blog.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment! I am really enjoying learning to sew! I am obsessed with boutique children's clothing so I am trying to make my own. I would love to see your projects!

I really enjoyed meeting you the other day! My mom has told me about you and your husband adopting a baby. I pray for you and your family and cannot wait for the Lord to bless you with a sweet baby!

I would LOVE to get together for lunch sometime soon! I am always free so anytime would be great!