Thursday, August 14, 2008


Mama Mia

I'm pretty sure this is the best movie I've seen in awhile! I LOVE movies and will see pretty much anything on the big screen. I love horror movies, action movies, mysteries, comedy & drama. My favorite kind though are chick flicks, throw in music and I'm in heaven! There's also something said for seeing it on the "big screen"! Thankfully Andy enjoys movies a lot, my Dad does too, but my Mom is always my partner in crime if there is something worth seeing! I know she'll go with me to chick flicks and musicals when Andy wont even consider it. We'd wanted to see this awhile and finally made it yesterday.

If you even remotely like chick flicks and enjoy musicals, this is for you! (Don't say I didn't warn you it's a MUSICAL. They don't sing "every" word though!) This movie was fantastic! Yes, it's filled with Abba music. I'm so hooked I am going to buy the greatest hits CD's this afternoon. Yes, it's incredibly cheesy and mushy. It will make you laugh out loud (a lot) and probably make you shed a tear as well. The cast is amazing, poor 007 is the only one who really can't carry a tune in a bucket, but it's ok because we love him anyway. The characters are fantastic and you begin to adore them all right away. Then there is the background, the scenery, the breath taking footage of Greece! I've fallen in love with Greece ages ago and now I am more ready to go than ever!! I'm going to force Andy to sit through it no matter what eventually, just to make him see the footage of Greece. (Though I may have to fast forward through the singing.)

I've never seen it on stage, I can't compare the two. I'd love to see it now though! If you don't know the story, girl meets boy and falls in love. They are going to get married. Girl lives with her Mom on a beautiful small island of Greece. Girl doesn't know her Father and wants to, girl finds Mom's diary and knows there are three options on who her Father might be. Girl invites said three men to her wedding, unbeknownst to her Mom. Mom's two best friends also come to the wedding, her backup singers from the old days of their girl band. Each character has something to offer for sure. The three possible Dad's are all unique and you can't help but root for them all. Mom & I both come out saying that we wanted to go see it again!

Edited to add: Saw it for 2nd time tonight!

Go see it, go with your girlfriends or your Mom. You'll love it, I did!

Great Cast:
Girl Sophie: Amanda Seyfried (adorable)
Boy Sky: Dominic Cooper (cutie)
Momma Donna: Meryl Streep (great choice)
Momma's Friend Rosie: Julie Walters (great part, especially in the end)
Momma's Friend Tanya: Christine Baranski (great part as well and love her beach song)
Daddy 1 Bill: Stellan Skarsgard (you have to love the hippie still sailing the world)
Daddy 2 Harry: Collin Firth (you know you love him, professional, banker, English)
Daddy 3 Sam: Pierce Brosnan (you know you love him too, he's kinda dreamy)

0 comments: