Monday, September 29, 2008


Gas Situation Stinks!

Ok, I have to rant here for a moment. I'm allowed, right?!

I have friends who live across the US and it seems we are the only place right now that are having this issue. Gas is insanely high, if you can find it. Yes, I said if you can find it?



It was bad enough this summer with the jump to $4 a gallon. In the month of July we paid just over $600 in gas!!!! Did you read that??? $600 in gas! Granted Andy drives a truck, he drives over an hour both ways to work and I drive a SUV as well. Still, should we really have to spend that much money in gas?? Add to that the fact that groceries go up with gas and WOWIE ZOWIE folks, it's insane!!

But now, we can't even FIND gas!! A few weeks ago I prayed and God answered in allowing me to literally roll to the pump at my FOURTH try at finding a station with gas!!! I drove around until I was literally on fumes and I prayed God would take care of me, he did! My Beastie died, literally at the pump!

I know that Hurricane Ike caused severe damage in Texas and I totally understand that power was shut down for quite awhile, days on end. I feel terrible for those families who suffered loss, hoping and praying for a speedy recovery for them. I think everyone can be patient through a crisis like that and sympathize.

I just can't figure out why the craziness has continued here in the Metro Atlanta area and mainly ONLY here! Gas is $3.99-$4.19 when you can find it. The thing is, Cobb & Paulding counties for sure are out! I mean OUT! There is no gas within about 20-30 miles of our house, at least! Nowhere, no small town gas stations, no large corporate owned ones. Most of our local counties drive huge distances to work and it's causing major problems.

Places that have gas are putting on limits. You can only buy $20 to $40 worth of gas. For the thousands who drive trucks and SUVs, that doesn't get you very far for $4 a gallon!! Then you have to drive 30 miles to find gas again. It's a vicious cycle. People are waiting in line an hour (my Mom & Aunt did this weekend) only to get close to your turn and they run out. You've just wasted gas sitting in line.

We just spent the weekend in the mountains, we were very nervous about the gas situation as we headed North. Strangely enough though, around Dalton & Calhoun is when the gas craziness ends. By the time we got close to Chattanooga and in to Tennesee, there was plenty of gas. Not only was there plenty, but it was CHEAP!! Even in the local tourist traps of Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg, it was $3.49!! We haven't seen those prices here in forever!

I'm just sayin'... what is the deal? What needs to change? Is it our behavior, are people freaking out and making it worse? Is there a logical reason for this? What can we do about it?


(Rant over, blog on our trip to come soon)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when I read about the south east having gas shortages I thought of you and wondered how it was.

Man.. what Doesn't Suck right now???

Something GOOD is bound to happen, right???

Terry said...

Love that cute gas station!!! cute cute cute! We're not taking our motor mansion south till next month, we're afraid of not being able to get fuel or that the truckers will beat us up for taking their fuel!!!! It's a no win situation.