Monday, July 03, 2006

"Just an old sweet song, keeps Georgia on my mind!!"

So it's the 4th of July weekend and what is there to do? Enjoy the beautiful state that we call home, that's what!! You've heard of Disney's claim to their own mountains, right? Well, we have some of our own here in Georgia! Andy & I set out to explore some of those this weekend!

Saturday- Day 1:

Part 1: We started out heading to Rossville, Georgia (right near Chattanooga) to visit Lake Winnepesaukah. Known to most everyone as, Lake Winnie. (Ok, that's most everyone that's heard of it and.. most everyone hasn't heard of it! But, you get what I mean...right?) It's a super cute (but small) amusement park. It's on a lake, thus the name! There are all sorts of rides: ferris wheel, log ride (that goes ends up in the lake!), wooden roller coaster, swings, swinging ship, antique cars, bumper cars, a ton of kid rides (TON), carnival games, food, pedal boats, a show and a picnic area. It's only $5 to get in and walk around. You can pay for ride tickets individually or for $19.99 get an armband and do it all as much as you want. Andy and I chose to take this trip to just "soak it all in" and walk around. There are tons of picnic area inside the park and plenty of shade. We both ate hotdog/tater tot meals with drinks for a total of about $7 though!! (That's hard to beat!) It's a super cute place, check out the website. (lakewinnie.com) Oh, there are super HUGE carp in the lake!! If only you could fish there....



Part 2: We were already up there, so w
hy not go on to Chattanooga? We did!! (It's about 2 hours from our house to Chattanooga, we have been known to visit there ALOT) There are tons of things to do in Chattanooga!! (the aquarium, IMAX theater, incline railway to the top of the mountain, train museum and Chattanooga Choo Choo, Rock City at Look Out Mountain, Ruby Falls at Look Out Mountain, Out let shopping downtown, RiverBoat ride, Tow Truck museum (yes, I've been), ride THE DUCKS (amphibious vehcils from WWII, not quack quack) and on and on....This time we chose Rock City @ Look Out Mtn. We've planned on going before and always get side tracked. Both Andy & I have been before, with our families when we were little. So, off we go!

Rock City is kind of hard to describe, if you have no idea what I am talking about...check out the website! It's a walking adventure through natural rock formations and a few flower gardens on Look Out Mountain. On your way you journey through several things such as fat man's squeeze. This is Andy at one part of that, the only point in which I could actually turn around and take a picture. There are parts that are TINY!!

There is a 2 part swinging bridge that is LONG on both parts, super HIGH and major .. um...SWINGY....if ya know what I mean?! Of course you're on there with obnoxious boys, like my husband...who insist on swinging it so hard that you have to hold on and walk very slowly with both hands. YIKES~ Remind me to take the stone bridges next time!!! My legs were super jello like when we finally go to the end!!

Turns out Andy is super strong and can balance a 110,000 pound boulder, who knew?!



When you get to the top there are snack bars, a shop, a bird show, the house where the people who made & own rock city live (it was an ordinary family who started it all in 1947 and now there family still live up there in a gorgeous house) and a super gorgeous view where you can see 7 states! (or so they say, who can tell?!)


On the way back, there is an area called "Fairy Land". It's of course a hit with the small kids. It's what I remember most about my trips as a little girl! There are all sorts of statues scenes that you look at through these little windows of nursery rhyme and fairy tale characters. They are lit up with black lights, it's dark in the caves where these are...pretty neat.

It was getting on into the evening and we decided that it was time to head back home. (All the while wishing we'd have packed a toothbrush to just spend the night...also reminding myself that when we're there...we're just 2 more hours from Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge which we LOVE)

So there you have it, day one of our Georgia Adventure!
Forgive my color issues, I have such trouble when I try to change it!

4 comments:

Amber said...

I was there when I was around 10-ish (maybe??). I think I remember the fairy land.

That 7 states thing is really cool!

Terry said...

THe day john and I finally got to the top of the mountain it was foggy!!!! go figure. But we did go to Ruby Falls, we were tired of reading the signs all the way there and thought we'd see what it was all about...cool stuff really. I'd love to take Mitchel there if he could stand the ride there.

monica said...

That's true and we sure thought about it. The only other issue is Gizmo...my Mom doesn't mind checking on him in the evening if we're late coming home or something...but I hate to ask her to check on him at night & the morning unless we've planned it. (And then she usually just spends the night at our house) Sure was tempting though-

Traci said...

How fun to be a tourist in your own state. And great pics too!