Thursday, July 20, 2006


"Messy" Enchiladas

Anyone like to try new recipes? I do! Thanks to Tracey (yeah you Brownlee) I have had a ton of new ones to try, she bought me a subscription to a cooking magazine for Christmas! Fun stuff!!
So, I thought I'd share one of our super favorites that I found a few months ago. Andy requests these often! They are actually called "Swiss" enchiladas. The thing is, I don't like swiss cheese to much. I use other kinds. But, here it is!!






You need:

cooking spray
1 & 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped roasted skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 2)
secret *to make it faster, buy the rotisserie chicken already cooked at the store & chop*
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (4.5oz) cans diced green chilies, undrained
1 (14.5oz) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups 2% reduced fat milk
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
2 cups shredded swiss cheese - divided
*I use about 4 cups of cheese: shredded sharp cheddar & Sergento Fancy 4 Cheese Mexican*

1) Preheat oven to 350

2) Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, cook about 5 minutes or until tender and slightly brown. *I add a drop of EVOO* Stir in chicken, garlic, chiles and tomatoes. Reduce heat & simmer about 7-10 minutes, until liquid evaporates.

3) Meanwhile combine milk & flour in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, cook about 5 minutes or until it begins to thicken up. (watch it close!) Stir constantly with a whisk! Add salt & continue to stir!

4) Warm tortillas if desired. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture and about 2 tablespoons (I put more) cheese down the center of the tortilla, roll up. Arrange filled tortillas in the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish, coated with cooking spray. Pour milk mixture over the tortillas and top evenly with remaining cup of cheese. (I usually have about 1 & 1/2 left to cover)

5) Bake @ 350 about 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven.

6) Broil casserole for about 3 minutes or until cheese begins to brown. WATCH!!!

If you use the "original" recipe, it's 419 calories in 1 enchilada. It's actually from "Cooking Light" magazine. With my altered version, more cheese...I'm sure that it's a little more. It's good stuff though and you'll never know it's a "Cooking Light" recipe! If you eat one of these things stuffed, you'll be full!! They're super messy though and you need a knife & fork to eat them with!!

2 comments:

monica said...

No no no...I check YOUR site daily, sometimes twice!! Yes, we need to get together. Preplanning the 21st of Aug & kids the 28th, we start later since it's preschool. Any Friday though, I don't teach on Fridays!!

Joanne said...

That looks awesome. My mouth is watering. I love Cooking Light. I have a couple of recipes that I need to make from them that I haven't in awhile. I'll probably try this one too. YUM!