Saturday, April 04, 2009

Cole's Room

...truly a work in progress....



Who would have thought we'd be just a few months away from meeting our son and still not be able to sit back and say "his room is totally complete"? Especially since we have been working on it for well over the past year and a half, well.. 9 if you count the years of picking up this and that!!

Mom & I had bought Winnie the Pooh stuff for baby's room years and years ago. Then I ended up selling it and starting over a bit when we decided to head towards adoption. I "had" to stick with the Pooh theme because of ALL the stuff I couldn't part with and my "mini" obsession with the old fluffy bear myself. I've still sold stuff on Ebay about 3 times, given Pooh stuff away and have way more than I can ever find room to store.

I did really like this new Pooh we chose and that the colors could be added to as we went. Pink or Blue, either way. Finding out about little Cole made it all the more fun. I had painted my (very shaky) trees on the wall this summer and then last weekend I talked (begged, pleaded, nagged) Andy into using the stencil and adding the little blue birds to the wall. I'm thinking about gluing on a button eye, but haven't decided. (thanks to Shelley for the idea) I'm also considering adding a "sew on" look border between the colors, like a painted on "quilt stitch" kind of thing. Again, thanks Shelley and we'll see.....

Last weekend he also replaced the curtain rod and I am going to finally make curtains this week while I'm home for spring break. I bought several kinds of material and they will be sort of like a patchwork quilt. He also hung up the coat/bag rack behind a closet door. I didn't take pics of all around the room again this time, but I will. Oh and (he was so helpful) he also hung up the letters that spell Cole! We knew we'd never get them straight (nothing I do is straight) so we went with the crooked look from the get-go. Saved a huge headache and I like them that way!

I'm also still talking family into helping me paint a Bible verse on the wall along the line where blue meets brown. I think we've finally chosen a verse from my favorite three. You'll have to check back to see when I update pics again.

A few weeks ago I finally decided there was no way I could live with the book shelf we had in there. It was so tall and Cole would be 15 before he could reach the top and it wasn't fitting for me. So I got this super cute "square" shelf at Target. I like the baskets or no baskets idea and I think it can be useful, pretty much forever.

Eventually it will be done, meanwhile there is nothing I like more than going in there and sitting. Organizing things around, shuffling through the closet, sniffing baby lotion. People asked when I started this room over a year ago "don't you feel like you are jinxing it" or "doesn't it make you sad to see baby's room, with no baby". I never felt that way though, ever. To me it's always been the spot where someday, somehow God would send out little one. I trusted his plan and "prepared" for the blessing I knew he would send. Granted at the time I thought adoption was the only we'd he would bless us. Praying with faith we'll call it. Look at us now....................... A baby in my tummy, under my heart due in just 9 weeks and a hopeful heart that adoption will also play a part in our family story!!

4 comments:

Amber said...

That square shelf thing is cool.

Cant wait to see the bible verse.

Sincerely Anna said...

I love Cole's room! I was the same way with Mini's room while we waited for her. I just loved being in there during that time and it wasn't sad at all (even though painting it blue is a reminder that a previous adoption of a boy fell through) However, it's part of God's story for us. I'm actually very glad I kept the blue - it goes perfectly with her white butterfly quilt and I keep seeing blue walls in girls rooms in catalogs. Had no idea I was ahead of the scene! Haha!

So very excited to see pics of Cole IN his cute room in just a few months!

Janell said...

i know what you mean about just going in there and puttering. during my last few weeks when i could not sleep at all, i would just finally get up and go in her room. i would rearrange the clothes and just look thru the drawers, over and over. it was so relaxing.

his room is just adorable! it won't be long before he is enjoying it himself!!!

Wendy said...

I love it! LOVE the crib! And I love that Pooh lamp, so adorable! This child has so many toys already! :-) I love the bluebirds too! Where is the initials hanging you made?
I think it looks fantastic!
I truly admire your faith in God...I must admit I used to look at your blog (through Aimee's) and I would think the same thing - that I might be sad if I sat in a baby room and had no real idea of WHEN a baby would come - but I can see now how that just made your faith stronger - you are an amazing woman and God has blessed you and Andy with this new life and hopefully many more in this way or other ways - any child would be lucky to call your home theirs :-)