Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Summer Reading
2008 - Part 1


My reading this summer can be summed up in one word, strange and slow. By this same time last summer, I'd read 28 books. (I went back to count, no kidding) This summer so far I have read 11, not counting two I couldn't finish because they were boring me to tears. Last summer I started a reading journal. I write down just a few sentences (or a few pages) for the books I read so that I can go back and remember them. I SO wish I'd been doing this years and years ago. I've found funny quotes to hang onto and quotes that touch my heart, then there's everything in between. I have been busy this summer with days at the pool, lake days, crocheting, cross stitching, visiting friends and working in the nursery. Still, I am just not finding books that suck me in like normal.

I need reading HELP! I am at a stand still. I have all of these favorite authors, whose books I devour the day or two after they come out. That list is growing quite lengthy, but right now there are no new ones. I have found my fantastic summer finds already and am afraid there aren't any more of those to come this summer. We have a surprise beach trip that we're taking in a few weeks and I don't know what to read. I want something that I can't put down, something that either makes me laugh out loud, warms my heart, is super fun or a fabulous page turner mystery. I have two stacks of books in our guest bedroom right now and I just went through them. Some I bought and some are borrowed, but right now NONE of those really strike me as "I can't wait to read". Ugh! So unlike me. So help my reading friends, make some recommendations so I can do some research and buy a few new books before our beach trip!!

The main book I could not get through no matter how hard I tried - "Wicked" - I have been hearing about this book for years, how fantastic it is. I hear rave reviews of it on Broadway and people swear the book is amazing. "You'll love it" they said. I have been trying for the last month to plug through, much less "love" it. Ugh, yuck, ick, I can't do it!! I hoped I'd be sucked into the fantasy world of Oz and fascinated by the characters. Just what makes The Wicked Witch of the West .. Wicked?? The language, characters and fantasy world was just too much for me. It reminded me a little of the Harry Potter books, they are a little harder for me to read than most of my books. The thing is, I fell in love with the characters and was so interested in the things Harry would get into (and out of). They take me awhile to plug through the first few chapters, but then I'm hooked again. (Well, not anymore, they're over) But no matter how hard I tried, I just can't continue "Wicked". This one is going in the trade/sell stack and on we go-

I've read 3 Phillip Gulley books this summer. One of them is called "For Everything a Season" and it's short stories about there being a time for everything, like the Bible tells us. It's full of heart warming and funny stories, I enjoyed this a lot. It's not one of my favorites, but a good read if you like the short "true" kind. Then I read 2 more of the "Harmony" books. If you read the "Mitford" series, these are a grea deal alike. The narrator is a Quaker pastor and the town is filled with fun, crazy characters. The stuff that happens is a hoot and I love these books. There are a few more in the Harmony series and a few more of his short story books, they're on my "to read" list. *Speaking of Jan Karon & Mitford. I also read "Home to Holly Springs". The 1st book in her brand new Father Tim series. I enjoyed it b/c it was Father Tim and there was a good story going on. I didn't "love" it though and was a little let down. I will continue to read them b/c I am invested in the characters, but I don't count down the days or anything"

Now... for my top 6 books of the summer so far. (3 of which I read the first week of summer, on our cruise) Drumroll please-

#6- "The Memory Keepers Daughter" by Kim Edwards. This book reminds me of some I was reading about 4 years ago when I read the Oprah book club books. It's a great fiction book! It's not in my typical comedy/romance, trashy/romance, Christian/chick fiction, inspriational or mystery fields. It's great though. I saw the advertisement ages ago on the Lifetime station, there was a movie make of it. I missed the movie (and in searching can't seem to find they're ever going to play it again) and thought it would make a great read sometime. I found it online for under $.25 and ordered it a few weeks ago. It is great!
Spoiler Ahead, but not really if you read the back of the book: It's about a man and woman who have a baby. Circumstances make it so the husband has to deliver his own children. They think there is one baby, surprise it's twins. The 2nd baby is born with down syndrome and in the time period (late 50s, 60s maybe?) families usually sent those children away. So the father decides to send the 2nd baby away, telling his wife that the baby died. It goes on to unfold on how the big secret effects the family, even though they don't know there's a "secret" there to unfold. Very good book, has some strange moments, but good.

#5- "Fearless 14" by Janet Evanovich. I can't believe this is #5 on my list, not higher. I love these books though and with James Patterson having two out as well.. it was hard to put them in order. Anyway... I wonder each time there is a new Stephanie Plum book, can it REALLY be as good as the others?? Is there really more story to tell with Stephanie, Morelli, Ranger & Grandma. The thing is, YES, there is always more story to tell. Each and every one of these books is just as fun to read! They all keep me guessing and every single one makes me laugh out loud!!!! *usually Grandma moments* I love these, hope they keep coming and wish they'd make a movie series. I think that Sandra Bullock was born to play Stephanie Plum!

#4- "Sail" by James Patterson. Why can't every mystery type writer be this good? Why can't they all keep me in total suspense, make it where I can NOT put the book down until I'm done. Those short chapters, he's so onto something with that!!! This one, written with a co-author as he often does, is fantastic as always! A family is off on a sailing adventure together, trying to get their family to regroup and get their act together again. Of course, in true James Patterson style, there's a big mystery and chaos thrown into this family vacation. Great, great read and I can't say more without getting into the story. Then YOU wouldn't want to keep turning the page. If you haven't read a James Patterson book before, WHY NOT????? They are fantastic!!!!

#3- "Sundays at Tiffany's" by James Patterson. This is one of the few (3 or 4 maybe?) romantic fiction novels that he's written. It is very ... hmm... odd. It's a strange story about an imaginary friend or is the friend imaginary? It's a true page turner and a very short book to begin with. I read it in one afternoon/evening while we were cruising and took it with me everywhere we went. The story is about a lady named Jane (I love that name more and more these days) and her imaginary friend, Michael. You just have to pick this one up to find out what happens. I could NOT put it down!

#2- "Love the One Your With" by Emily Giffin. I absolutely love this author. This is only her 4th book and one of my best friends, Misty, introduced me to her. I loved that first book ("Something borrowed") and I have counted days until each release of her books since then. This book is wildly edge of your seat, what will happen. Ellen & Andy have a perfect marriage. They live in New York, he's from Atlanta. (There's some southern charm thrown in this one) He is her best friend/college room mates brother. They are all one big happy family. Can you ask for better than that? Then.. she runs into her ex boyfriend and then the drama begins. It's a great story though and you wonder how in the world this one can possibly work out???


Ok and now for the #1 book. It is truly one of my top 5 books of all time. It ranks right up there and I am going to read it again, maybe on our trip. I was CRAZY shocked by how much I loved it and became obsessed with the story in a wild way. This post has gotten crazy lengthy though (as all my reading ones do) and I doubt anyone has bothered to stick with me here. (Other than Misty, I love you girl!) So... I will let you sit on the edge of your seat, wondering what my favorite book is so far this summer, until next time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ACK! I must know what #1 is!!! :) I'm not a very patient person. Sorry! LOL

monica said...

I gave it away at the farm. I will blog tonight about it only though!! The book you know and love Hillary!!

aimee said...

I read the shack and it is an AMAZING book. Everyone should read it. Also, Jason has been reading a lot of Lee Child's books...I think they are alot like James Patterson.