Saturday, August 04, 2007


Ok, you have been waiting anxiously for long enough- LOL~ Or you didn't read my previous top 5 favorite books of July blog and are wondering what the heck I am talking about. I left you wondering what my #1 pick was, remember?

Last summer, I found Mary Kay Andrews and had a new favorite author! I read my favorite "Hissy Fit" three times! She only has a handful of books and they are HILARIOUS. She also has a line of mysteries, by another name. She's a "southern humor" author and I couldn't love her anymore. Her new blog "The Kudzu Telegraph" makes me laugh out loud!

So this summer, I found Denise Hildreth and "Savannah"!! I was wondering around the Christian section of Barnes & Noble and a book titled "Savannah by the Sea" got my attention. I took a chance although it was #3 in a series.I bought it and let it sit for a few weeks. When we headed to St. Thomas I decided it was the perfect time to read a book about a family going to the beach, plus it was paperback and you can't imagine the damage I do to books while at the pool & beach-

The books is dad gum hilarious!!! I laughed out loud more times than I have reading a book in a L O N G time!!!!! (and I laugh alot) It couldn't be any more "southern" either. It's about a 24 year old girl/lady named, of course, Savannah. She is headed on a beach trip with her parents, brother, her Mom's new fried and her own best friend. The family pets Duke & Magnolia are along for the ride as well. The craziness that happens in their adventure is awesome, the characters you fall in love with from the first chapter!

P. 47 "she doesn't just believe in corporal punishment, amber. She believes spanking should be administered with a fly swatter" (Oh my gosh, did she come to my house? My Mom use to do this!!!!!)

P. 69 "when dinner arrived, I placed the first bite of grits in my mouth. 'Hallelujah' I shouted, a little louder than I had intended."

P. 88 "It was Sunday, It was the South. And I was Jake's child therefore, I went to church."

P.99 " 'I heard she writes books about crazy people from the south' Paige threw the towel over her head, her voice muffled through the cotton. 'Well don't let her see us. She'd have enough stories to tell for years.'"

P.103 "I was ready to swim. However, the gnawing fear that I would drown if I didn't wait 30 minutes after eating had remained with me these 24 years."

P. 221 "If I didn't fear my mother building an alter there in the middle of the restaurant and anointing me with olive oil, I'd have downed a bottle of wine all by myself. It was lost on her that Catholics, Presbyterians and who knows maybe even Methodists actually had wine for communion. She thinks Jesus turned water into Welches."

P.239 "Mother's hand flew up to her face. 'Oh my Lord, have mercy, my daughter is a hoochie mamma."

P. 295 " 'Adventure I can handle, but this is certifiable.' 'I tried to tell you - I come from crazy people' "

1 comments:

Kingmsmn67 said...

"If I didn't fear my mother building an alter there in the middle of the restaurant and anointing me with olive oil, I'd have downed a bottle of wine all by myself. It was lost on her that Catholics, Presbyterians and who knows maybe even Methodists actually had wine for communion. She thinks Jesus turned water into Welches."


Lutheres have wine too........sounds like a good book.....I'm not from the south but I bet I would still enjoy it